Let’s talk vinaigrettes. Salad dressings, marinades, red wine, apple cider vinegar, basil, the list is endless and so are the opportunities. With so many types to choose from, vinaigrettes must be complicated, right? Wrong! A vinaigrette is simply mixing an oil with something acidic such as vinegar and lemon juice.
But it can’t only be that? True. There are a few very important factors when creating a smooth and robust vinaigrette. One, quality matters. For the best flavoring, try to use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil. Two, uneven portions will shift your flavoring from blended and savory to weak or overpowering. Three, experiment! Create new flavors and combinations once you’ve mastered the base by adding seasonings, fruit, or cheese.
Now that vinaigrettes seem more approachable, let’s make a few variations from Cooking Creations with Chef Brandon.
1/4 C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (The better the quality, the better the flavoring)
1/2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. Honey
1/4 C. Vinegar (Red Wine, White Wine, or Apple Cider – Based on desired flavor)
Salt and Pepper
Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, salad dressing shaker, or mix well with a whisk in a bowl. Then shake/mix until well combined. Drizzle onto your salad or marinate your favorite meat or seafood.
Ready to experiment with more flavor? Try a few of these additional suggestions.
- Garlic – Adding a clove or two of minced garlic adds a depth of rich flavor
- Herbs – Chopped basil and oregano are great for Greek salad. Start with a ½ teaspoon and add until desired strength
- Feta Cheese – The salty flavors go so well with the tangy flavors of the vinaigrette base. Start with 2 tablespoons and add more as desired
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – Try 2 tablespoons and add more as desired
- Fruit – Strawberry & raspberry purees, as well as, lemon and lime juices will add a savory quality to your vinaigrette and keep it seasonally fresh
Store in the fridge for up to two weeks. When adding fresh fruits and herbs, storage in the fridge is good for one week. Shake well before each use
What is your favorite combination? How adventurous did you get with your combinations? Share photos on social media with #FourWindsCasino or by emailing photos to email@example.com. Tune into Cooking Creations with Chef Brandon on our Facebook and Instagram pages for more great recipes.