Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Do you turn your nose up when you hear the word brussels sprouts? Or have you been interested in trying them but just haven’t taken the plunge? Brussels sprouts are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, making them a great addition to your side-dish recipes. On Cooking Creations with Chef Brandon, we dive into a simple yet flavorful brussels sprouts recipe that will have your taste buds excited for more of this culinary masterpiece.
2 Lbs. Whole Brussels Sprouts, Ends Trimmed
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 1/2 Tsp. Kosher Salt, Divided
1/4 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp. Parmesan, Finely Grated
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Place racks in the center and upper third of your oven and preheat oven to 425° F.
- Fill a saucepan, large enough to comfortably hold the brussels sprouts, with water. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and bring water to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water.
- Add brussels sprouts to the boiling, salted water. Cook about 10 minutes until the sprouts are tender. Drain and immediately plunge into the ice bath. Let the sprouts cool in the ice bath for one minute. Remove from water and place on a layer of paper towels and lightly pat dry.
- Transfer sprouts to the center of a large, rimmed baking sheet. Gently but firmly press each brussels sprout using a pan, coffee mug, or drinking glass until they are flattened into a disk that is about a half inch thick.
- Drizzle smashed sprouts with oil and season with remaining salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes (if using), and some of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then remove and carefully flip. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the top and return to oven. Bake until sprouts are crisp on the outside and the cheese is golden, about 5-10 minutes more. For a little extra crisp, transfer the pan to the upper rack in the oven and set to broil. Let broil for two to three minutes, watching so they do not burn.
Did you go extra crispy or add a punch with the red pepper flakes? We’d love to see your smashed brussels sprouts. Share photos on social media with #FourWindsCasino or by emailing photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tune in to more Cooking Creations with Chef Brandon on our Instagram and Facebook accounts for step by step videos.