Blog » Winning Recipes
Maple Pecan Vegan Bread Pudding
Did someone say pudding? We did! Everyone should be able to enjoy bread pudding, so Chef Brandon has crafted a Maple Pecan Vegan Bread Pudding recipe sure to impress!
5 C. Day-Old Bread (Torn into 2-Inch Pieces)
1 14 oz. Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
2/3 C. Maple Syrup
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt, Divided
1 1/4 C. Unflavored Almond Milk, Chilled
1/3 C. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 C. Pecan Halves
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1/4 C. Vegan Butter, Melted
Why use day-old bread? The aged bread is perfect for soaking up all the gooey goodness and it becomes fresh again after baking. However, a dish is only as good as its ingredients and not all breads are baked equal. Which one should you use for this yummy dish? We suggest a vegan sourdough, ciabatta, focaccia, or baguette. Now that we have that sorted. Let’s get to baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly oil a 2 ½ quart baking dish.
- Arrange the bread pieces in the baking dish.
- Whisk the coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon of salt together into a medium saucepan.
- Place the pan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- While the coconut milk mixture heats up, stir the chilled almond milk and cornstarch together in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves completely.
- Once the coconut milk mixture comes to a simmer, whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Bring the mixture back up to a simmer and allow it to cook, whisking frequently, until it thickens up to the consistency of pudding, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla. Then pour the mixture over the bread pieces.
- Stir the pecans, brown sugar, butter and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt together in a small bowl. Then spread over the bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes and serve warm or allow it to cool and set completely before serving.
Waa-lah! It’s time to dig in! Share photos on social media with #FourWindsCasino or by emailing photos to email@example.com. Tune in to more Cooking Creations with Chef Brandon on our Instagram and Facebook accounts for step-by-step videos.